Wednesday 28 March 2012

Wip Wednesday: Continental blanket



I'm a "thrower", a very inefficient one for that matter. 



For the non-knitters, there are different ways to knit. You can throw the yarn or pick it.  I manage to increase, decrease, yarn over, slip stitch and make cables and bobbles. But, it takes me forever.
I only made small/quick projects so far, mainly hexipuffs and projects with big chunky yarn, it didn't bother me too much that I'm quite slow. 

Have you seen this post on Crafts from the Cwtch? It inspired me to take a critical look at my knitting skills. As you all know I am much more skilled in crochet and knitting is still a bit of a struggle. I learned the basic purl and knit stitches from my mom and from there on I found my tutors on youtube. However, now that I am making a nice long scarf with a tiny needle size...well, it got me thinking. 

So, I want to challenge myself to learn a more efficient way of knitting: continental knitting (or picking). 
I checked out Youtube for some tips and tricks but the biggest help were some of the ladies at the knitting meetings I attend here in Rotterdam. I thought I was able to knit continental, but it appeared I twisted my stitches. Thank goodness for the tips and tricks from more experienced knitters! 

So now the only thing left to do is practice, practice, practice. What better way to do that than knitting a blanket? 
 







Blanket details: Dining in the Dunes blanket

Needle: 6.5mm circular needle
Yarn: Katia Alaska, Drops Andes

Pattern: Improvised squares: Cast on 18 sts, knit 32 rows in garter stitch. Some squares are just knit the rows, others are all in purl stitch. 

I found the color inspiration for this project just around the corner at Hoek van Holland.

I just hope I have enough yarn to make a blanket that is big enough to snuggle under after dining in the dunes in summer. I can't wait for the first beach picknick! 

Take a peek at Tami's Amis for more WIP Wednesday projects. 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope to see you soon! 




12 comments:

  1. Your eye for color is excellent. I am practicing Continental as well. I am very slow at knitting. I am working on a scarf. You are brave to work on a blanket and it looks great. I really like the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those colours are pure sea-scape, they look lovely. My knitting sister came to visit this week and blew me away with the complexity or her knitting, I'd love to knit like her but don't have the patience at the moment to learn. I think it's a great idea to learn to knit continental as it is definitely more efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful blanket that is going to be, your colour choices are perfect. Seeing those squares made me think of the beach instantly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MUUUhahahahaha. Welcome to the darkside! Continental Knitting is the way to be! Seriously, it's ridiculously faster than English style. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so funny...being German, I never thought of my way of knitting as continental, it is just the way I learned it and I was always amazed at the way how Brits knit as I found it to look so complicated...why would people want to go three steps when they can do the same in one? Yah, German efficiency all the way baby...hahahaha
    I LOVe the look of your blanket the colours are so scrummy and look fabulous together

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely choice of colours - and especially nice to see your inspiration photo. I often think that I should get organized and sort out my knitting style, but I'm terrified that would change my tension and impact all my WIPs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the choice of colours. i am actually working on a similar knitted blanket. yours is looking lovely. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried 'picking' too in a bid to speed up my knitting but I never did master it! Looks like you're doing a lot better with it though - well done. Love the colours you've chosen.

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been thinking about doing a blanket like yours to practice my knitting.

    Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Great idea to practice continental! (I totally missed WIP Wednesday this week, and I'm so glad you linked in the Friday post)
    PS, are your purl squares the same size as the knit ones?

    ReplyDelete

Something on your mind?